Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Associate of Applied Science) - Memphis
Program offered at: Memphis, Tennessee
Diagnostic medical sonographers use special imaging equipment that directs sound waves into a patient’s body (in a procedure commonly known as an ultrasound, sonogram, or echocardiogram) to assess and diagnose various medical conditions.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography curriculum integrates didactic and clinical instruction with increasing expectations at each level. Clinical sites utilized by the program are geographically dispersed. Students may have to travel outside of the local area for clinical placements.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is delivered in a blended format. Courses will be delivered entirely online, entirely on-ground or with an appropriate blend of both online and on-ground hours in the same course. Of the 2,055 program hours, a maximum of 680 course hours (33.1%) may be offered online (including general education courses). Campuses may have the option to deliver general education courses either online or on-ground depending on local need and availability specific time, regardless of their eligibility status upon enrollment.
To prepare competent entry-level sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains for the following concentration(s) it offers:
- Abdominal sonography - Extended
- Obstetrics and gynecology sonography
Graduates of this program will develop skills to:
- Be clinically competent to perform appropriate procedures and record anatomic, pathologic, and/or physiologic data;
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to exercise discretion and judgment in performance of diagnostic sonography;
- Demonstrate appropriate communication skills; and
- Demonstrate professionalism and growth in the profession.
The program will continually monitor program effectiveness through assessment and evaluation to ensure that the needs of the community are met.
* These courses may be offered entirely online or entirely on-ground at the campus.